Monday, October 24, 2016

GINGER COOKIES

Ginger Cookies have a power over me at this time of year. I will be living my best life, minding my own business, and pow!  Out of nowhere a Ginger Cookie appears in front of me, calling my name so loudly that it deafens me to all my healthy intentions and practices. The last time I ate one (two weeks ago), I vowed to write a GOOD FOOD recipe for a sugar free, grain free version, and here it is.  
I have used a Stevia-Erythritol blend for the sweetening of this cookie.  According to B.J., Erythritol is the best of all the sugar alcohols.  I have sampled it in other recipes and I find it does not upset my stomach, as does Xylitol.  Furthermore, I wanted a snappier Ginger cookie than I could achieve with Stevia alone, so I was willing to take a chance on this blend, which, by the way, is available at the Bulk Barn.
Enjoy.


Ingredients:

2 1/4  cups blanched almond flour
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1/4teaspoon aluminum free baking soda
1 cup chopped raw pecans
1/2 cup organic butter, roon temperature
1/2 cup Stevia-Erythritol Blend, plus a tiny bit extra for sprinkling
1 tablespoon pure vanilla (no sugar – check the label)

Preparation:
  1. In a stand mixer, or using an electric hand held beater, combine the butter and stevia-erythritol blend. 
  2. Add the remaining ingredients and mix again until all the ingredients are incorporated.
  3. Using a piece of parchment paper, form the dough into a log, approximately 2 ½ inches in diameter. 
  4. Freeze the log for approximately 1 hour; then unwrap and cut into 1/8 inch slices.
  5. Place the slices on a baking sheet lined with a clean piece of parchment paper.
  6. Bake at 350 degrees until lightly golden, approximately 10 to 15 minutes. 
  7. Sprinkle with additional Stevia-Erythritol blend while the cookies are just out of the oven.
  8. Cool and serve. 

Makes 24 cookies
Note:  Image credit Martha Stewart